Recent Posts

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Being a Strong Black Woman Can Get You Killed by Laini Mataka





 After a successful career as a Jazz musician Wanda Robinson changed her name to Laini Mataka and released several publications including Black Rhythms for Fancy DancersNever as Strangers,Restoring the Queen, and Being a Strong Black Woman Can Getchu Killed. Her work has been include in a number of anthologies including Sisterfire360 DegreesIn Search of Color Everywhere and Day of Absence. 

I would like to highlight "Being a Strong Black Woman Can get Getchu Killed." This book keeps is place as one of my all time favorites. A book that changed my writing as well as my perception of the world. 


The title poem from this collection has been plagerized and vanderlized all over the internet for years. It drives me crazy when I go to poetry sites and see it listed as "unknown", see the wording changed or   someone passing it off as their own. 


Here is the link so you can read the poem yourself and also preview the book. In my opinion it is a must have. -Paradyme

Click here to read a preview of "Being a Strong Black Woman Can Getchu Killed!"




No comments:

Post a Comment